Dr Toh See Kiat graduated with an LLB (Hons) Degree from the National University of Singapore in 1982 and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor in Singapore in 1983. He obtained his Master’s Degree in Law from Harvard University in 1986 and in 1991, he was awarded a PhD in Law by the University of London where he did his doctoral thesis in electronic commerce. He has also been admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales.
His practice is in the areas of Information Technology and E-Commerce Law. He has been engaged by a wide range of corporate/ commercial clients, industry bodies, and government agencies.
Dr Toh is also highly sought after in legislation drafting, having drafted legislation for Abu Dhabi and Dubai. As Asian Development Bank consultant, he advised the National Assembly of Vietnam on the introduction of eCommerce Laws (2005). He has also advised the Vietnam Customs under a World Bank consultancy (2008).
Dr Toh has been actively involved in national matters, having served as a Member of Parliament and also as Chairman of Aljunied Town Council, a municipality with a population in excess of 100,000 households. He was President of the Consumers Association of Singapore and was a member of national bodies such as the National Trust Council. In addition, Dr Toh sits on the board of several companies.
An accomplished academic, Dr Toh has been a Professor at the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Singapore and Tyndale University College Canada. He still teaches graduate level courses at the NTU as an external lecturer. He is the author of ‘Paperless International Trade: Law of Telematic Data Interchange’ (Butterworths Asia 1992). He is also co-editor of a book “Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Singapore” (Addison-Wesley Singapore 1996). Dr Toh takes a keen interest in promoting education and laws in Internet use, E-Commerce, data privacy, e-government and IT law issues and is up to date on the latest developments in these fields. He conducts regular seminars to the ICT profession on the law relating to IT contracts, IPR on the Internet and other online business issues.
Dr Toh’s professional involvements include:
- Consultant, Asian Development Bank
- Consultant, World Bank
- Expert, ICC DocDex Panel
- President, Singapore Association of Visually Handicapped (‘SAVH’)
- President, Consumers’ Association of Singapore (‘CASE’)
- Member, Parliament of Singapore
- Chairman, Edition Ltd
- Chairman, CommerceNet Singapore Ltd
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Directors (‘SID’)
- Fellow, Singapore Computer Society (‘SCS’)
- Adjudicator, Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre Ltd (‘FIDReC’)
- Hon Legal Advisor, Information Technology Management Association
- Hon Legal Advisor, Singapore Computer Society
- Hon Legal Advisor, Association of Information Security Professionals (Singapore)
- Professor, National University of Singapore (‘NUS’)
- Professor, Nanyang Technological University Singapore (‘NTU’)
- Professor, Tyndale University College
- Director, CommerceNet Singapore Ltd
- Director, Tyndale University College